If possible, park vehicle in the shade as continuous exposure to sun rays can prematurely deteriorate the soft top material.
To lower or raise the soft top or to remove or attach the hardtop, there are two locking handles in a bag stowed in the glove compartment. They are used to engage or disengage locks (4). Put locking handles back into the glove compartment after use.
Lowering the soft top:
A wet or frozen top must not be folded until thawed and dry.
Open side windows or doors before raising or lowering the soft top.
1. Unlock rear bow (2) and compartment cover (3) by rotating lever (1) to position C. Lever will automatically return to position B. If rear bow cannot be raised with lever in this position, move lever (10) to position E.
2. Lift rear bow to an upright position. In doing this, be sure the rear window is folded inward free of kinks.
3. Open top storage compartment cover (3)
4. Disengage top framework at front by turning locks (4) inwards. Remove handle after turning lock.
5. Bring the front bow back. Make sure that the frame bow (arrow) pivots to its rear most position, to prevent damage to the top.
6. Guide the top into its storage compartment (5)
To avoid curling the edges of the soft top, tuck in the edges so that the material is not stored with lifted edges in the following areas:
(6) under lock,
(7) under the left and right hinge area,
(8) at the left and right side area.
7. Return safety lever to position D.
8. Close top storage compartment cover, making sure that both sides (9) are locked.
Raising the soft top:
1. Rotate lever (1) to position C and open storage compartment cover (3).
2. Pull the top out of the storage compartment, unfolding it forward to insert the locks (4) in their corresponding latching holes in the windshield header bar.
3. While pulling top down tighten framework by turning locks (4) outwards. Remove locking handles.
4. Close top storage compartment cover, making sure that both sides (9) are locked.
5. Fold down top until rear bow locks in place in the center, then tighten rear bow with crank (1) (position A). Lever (10) must be in position D.
Removal or attachment of the hardtop is best done at an authorized MERCEDES-BENZ dealer, although this can be carried out by 2 persons.
The soft top must be completely dry before it is placed in the storage compartment.
To remove or attach the hardtop, there are two locking handles in a bag stowed in the glove compartment.
They are used to engage or disengage the locks in the windshield header bar and behind the doors (11). Put locking handles back into the glove compartment after use.
The hardtop has five latching points:
Front = two locks in windshield header bar
Side = one lock behind each door (11)
Rear = center locking pin on hardtop.
Removal of hardtop:
1. Disconnect plug and socket of the heated rear window in the passenger-side rear compartment.
2. Place lever (1) in position B, lever (10) in position E.
3. Turn side locks (11) rearwards to the stop with locking handles.
4. Insert locking handles into windshield header bar locks and turn inwards. Remove locking handles.
5. Lift the top carefully from its five latching holes and remove to the rear.
1. Move lever (1) to position B and lever (10) to position D.
2. Install hardtop with caution to avoid paint damage. Lower hard top slowly. All locking pins should be engaged into their respective locks at the same time.
3. Insert both locking handles into the forward locks and swing outwards.
4. Insert locking handles into side locks (11) and turn completely forward to the stop.
5. Move lever (1) to position A.
6. Connect plug and socket of the heated rear window in the passenger-side rear compartment.
The soft top may become moldy if it is kept enclosed in the storage compartment for an extended period. Unfold and air it thoroughly (do not expose to the sun) at regular intervals during the wet and cold seasons.