Unit Two, Quiz 2 Answer Key
Directions: Copy and paste into your email window. Then In the following sentences place single parentheses (… ) around the subject, double parentheses ((… ))around the verb. Indicate the [direct object (DO)] and the [indirect object (DO)] with the appropriate abbreviation. In passive sentences indicate the subject, the passive verb, and the [retained object (RO)].
1. At precisely timed intervals, the security (guards) ((check)) the [DO doors] to the building.
2. According to folklore, (carrying) certain dried fruits in your pocket ((will help)) prevent certain [DOdiseases.]
3. The (children) (( played)) several [DO games] before going home.
4.(a) (You) (( promised)) [IO Igor] a salary [DO increase] within six months.
(b) (Igor) ((PASSIVE was promised)) a salary [RO increase] in six months.
5. ((Did)) ( you) ((tell)) [IO him] all of the [DO story]?
6. The (Ford Foundation) ((will award)) the best qualified [IO student] a study [DO grant] of one thousand dollars.
7. ((Can)) (you) ((tell)) [IO us] the best [DO route] to the park?
9. (a) (I ) ((offerecd)) [IO Mortimer] ten [DO dollars] to take Hortense to the dance.
(b) (Mortimer) ((PASSIVE was offered)) ten [RO dollars] to take Hortense to the dance.
10. The rainy (weather) ((gave)) [IO everyone] [DO colds].
11. Eleven (people) ((PASSIVE were killed)) in the infamous Haymarket riot in Chicago on May 4, 1886.
12. (Scott Joplin,) a turn-of-the-century Black composer, ((taught)) [DO himself] to play the piano and ((studied)) [DO music] at a Missouri college.
13. (Joplin) ((originated)) the musical [DO style] called "ragtime."
14. (The Titanic) ((was considered)) unsinkable.
15. On the ship's maiden voyage, an (iceberg) ((ripped)) a 300 foot [DO gash] in the Titanic's double hull and ((sent)) the [DO ship] and 1500 of its [DO passengers] to the bottom of the North Atlantic.
Consult the Unit One lesson for further study if you scored less than 80% on this exercise.
USE YOUR BROWSER BACK BUTTON TO RETURN TO MAIN MENU.
When you have checked your answers use your browser "back" button at the top, left corner of the pageto return to the main menu.
Be sure to email your teacher if you have any questions.
Web Author: J. Kline
Copyright ©1998 by Instructional Systems - ALL RIGHTS RESERVED