Instructional Systems Independent Study
Traditional English Grammar
Unit Three: Quiz 2 Answer Key
Directions: The sentences below contain an error or are correct. If there is an error, place a parentheses around the incorrect pronoun and write the corrected pronoun below the sentence. If the sentence is correct, write "C " in the right margin.
1. Everybody should attempt to be correct in (their) pronunciation of polysyllabic words. his or her
2. The women hurriedly put on their coats. C
3. Either the boy or the man will miss his shuttle bus. C
4. Everybody is expected to contribute his fair share. OK but his or her is better.
5. Myrtle and Ignatz told me about the movies and the stars that (she) admired. they
6. All the citizens wrote the congressman of (his) choice. their
7. Everyone should remember what (they) heard at John Ciardi's lecture on poetry. he or she
8. The audience at the opera was cheering its loudest. C
9. Each man or woman will have a chance to cast (their) vote. His or her
10. The freshman wrote about the people (which) he liked. That (Which is used for things, not people.)
11. The teenage audience cheered and screamed for (their) hero, Mugwert. Its
12. In this summer camp it is every child for (themselves). Himself or herself
13. Every sprinter must be on (their) line before the gun goes off. His if male runners, her if female runners.
14. During the exam Jake was ill, but (it) became better by evening. He
15. Neither Osgood nor the other team members wanted pink numbers on (his) bowling shirts. Their
16. Everybody took (their) insect spray on the hiking trip. His or her or rewrite the sentence: "The campers took their insect spray on the hiking trip."
17. To care for (their) own hunting dogs is the joy of every hunter. His
18. Anyone can try (his) luck at the bingo game. His or her is better
19. Not one of this sort of marsupials can focus (their) eyes in the daytime. its
20. Each member of the debate team practiced his argument. Or his or her
Use the browser "Back" button to return to student page.