Division of Ecological Perplexities Presents:
BIRDS OF DIEGO GARCIA!
Visit the Rest of The PPDRDG by Returning to the Site Map and Picking Another Page!
This page has the list of birds that are detailed on this website.
Use it as your "life list" while you visit the Wonderful PROPEOPDEMREP!
Shameless pleas from the Chief Ornithopterian of the PPDRDG:
- Audubonís Shearwater (Puffinus lherminieri)
- Wedge-Tailed Shearwater (Puffinus pacifica)
- Red-tailed Tropic Bird (Phaethon rubricauda).
- White-tailed Tropic Bird (Phaethon lepturus).
- Red-footed Booby (Sula sula)
- Masked Booby (Sula dactylatra)
- Brown Booby (Sula leucogaster).
- Great Frigatebird (Fregata minor)
- Lesser Frigatebird (Fregata ariel)
ACCIDENTAL PELAGIC BIRDS
you will probably never see!
- Giant Petrel (Macronectes sp.)
- Southern Fulmar (Fulmarus glacealoides)
- Prions (Pachyptila sp.)
- White-faced Storm Petrel (Pelagodroma marina)
- Gadfly Petrels (Pterodroma sp.)
- Flesh-footed Shearwater (Puffinus carneipes)
- Ruddy Turnstone (Arenaria interpres)
- Greater Sand Plover (Charadruis leschenaultii)
- Gray Plover (Charadruis squatarola)
- Whimbrel (Numenius phaeopus)
- Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica)
- Wood Sandpiper (Tringa glareola)
- Common Sandpiper (Tringa hypoleucos)
- Terek Sandpiper (Xenus cinereus)
- Greenshank (Tringa nebularia)
- Sanderling (Calidris alba)
- Curlew Sandpiper (Calidris ferruginea)
- Crab Plover (Dromas ardeola)
- Black-Naped (Sterna sumatrana)
- Bridled (Onychoprion anaethetus)
- Noddy (Anous stolidus) also called "Common" or "Brown" Noddy
- Crested (Sterna bergii) also called "Greater Crested" or "Swift Tern"
- Lesser Crested (Sterna bengalensis)
- Lesser Noddy (Anous tenuirostris)
- Little (Sterna albifrons)
- Roseate (Sterna dougallii)
- Sooty (Onychoprion fuscata)
- White (Gygis alba) commonly called "Fairy Tern" on Diego Garcia
HERONS AND LAND BIRDS:
- Cattle Egret (Bubulcus ibis)
- Striated Heron (Butorides striatus)
- Gray Heron (Ardea cinerea)
- Domestic Fowl (Gallus gallus) commonly known as chickens!
- Indian Barred Ground Dove (Geopelia striata), also called "Zebra Dove"
- Turtle Dove (Streptopelia picturata)
- Indian Mynah (Acridotheres tristis), also called "Common Mynah"
- Madagascar Fody (Foudia madagascariensis), also called "Red Fody"
PROBABLY EXTINCT LAND BIRDS
- Reunion Bulbul (Hypsipetes borbonicus)
OR IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN THE
- Mauritius Bulbul (Hypsipetes olivaceus)
- Francolin (Francolinus pondicerianus), also knows as "Gray Francolin"
- Great Snipe (Gallinago media)
- White Breasted Waterhen (Amaurornis phoenicurus)
- Flamingo (Phoenicopterus sp.)
the Rest of The PPDRDG by Returning
to the Site Map and Picking Another Page!
This, and everything else I write and every photo I produce is copyrighted by Ted A. Morris, Jr.